If you are facing an unexpected emergency, you can apply for emergency financial assistance.
You can get help when:
- a situation is caused by unforeseeable circumstances beyond your control, and
- it presents a severe health risk, and
- you cannot access other resources or wait until your next paycheque or Income Support benefit cheque.
You can apply for the Emergency Needs Allowance if:
- you are a current Income Support client
- you are an Albertan earning an income, but you do not have enough money to cover this one-time, short-term emergency that will last no longer than a month
- you meet the Income Support program eligibility requirements
This allowance can cover costs for:
- child care
- damage deposit
- temporary accommodation
- utility arrears
- you must repay this money if you need help with utility arrears more than once
- eviction payments
- you must repay this money if you need help with eviction payments more than once
Emergency Needs Allowance rates are published on page two of the Financial Benefits Summary (PDF, 228 KB).
Costs that may be covered, but must be repaid include:
- essential home repairs
- essential appliance repairs
How to Apply?
For general information on Income Support benefits, you can call the Alberta Supports Contact Centre:
ncome Support clients
Contact your Income Support worker.
If an emergency occurs outside regular hours, you can call the 24-hour Contact Centre toll free at 1-866-644-5135. See below for the items that can be issued by the 24-hour Income Support Contact Centre.
Based on individual applications
Toll free: 1-866-644-5135
TTY toll free: 1-800-232-7215 (ask to speak to Alberta Supports)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (responses may take 1-3 business days)