The Alberta Petrochemicals Incentive Program (APIP) is a key part of Alberta’s Recovery Plan and the Natural Gas Vision and Strategy to turn the province into a top global producer of petrochemicals. It provides grants to companies to attract investment in new or expanded market-driven petrochemical facilities.
- Must be physically located in Alberta
- The capital investment must be at least $50 million (CAD)
- The facility must use natural gas, natural gas liquids, or petrochemical intermediaries (ethylene, propylene, benzene, etc) in the manufacturing of its own products
- The project must create permanent jobs in Alberta
How to Apply?
Application and grant process has three stages:
- 1. Advance Notification
- Companies will be asked to provide company information, project location, project type, estimates for total costs, eligible capital costs, and job creation
- 2. Qualification and Grant Agreement
- Business will be required to provide information about the proposed project: Business Plan, Project Timing, Technology Configuration, Proponent’s Capability, Economic Benefits to Alberta, And Environmental Performance
- 3. Payment
- If deemed eligible, the Government of Alberta will then enter into a grant agreement with the company
- The payment schedule will depend on the size of the project
This program will cover a maximum of 12% of eligible costs