The Department of Agriculture, Aquaculture and Fisheries (DAAF) provides repayable loans and loan guarantees to promote development of the aquaculture sector as a complementary lender. Clients interested in a DAAF loan or loan guarantee must first seek financing from a private lender. DAAF’s loan program may then be available to help fill the gap between the assistance required and what the client has been approved for privately. DAAF will work with other lenders to facilitate succession and new development of viable projects. New entrants, defined as someone who has owned a farm for five years or less, may be eligible for lower interest rates and equity requirements.
Eligible activities include:
- Purchase a new or used vessel
- Undertake activities related to aquaculture
- Purchase an engine or equipment related to aquaculture
- Make major repairs to the hull or engine of a vessel
Refinancing or repaying debt is not an eligible activity for a loan or loan guarantee.
Applications must include a business plan which includes the following:
- Description of business and project;
- Financial information – minimum of three years of projected income statements and cash flow statements and previous three years financial statements or income tax returns (if existing operation);
- Description of management plan (how business will be operated) and management’s qualifications including education and work experience;
- Marketing plan (to whom and how products will be sold); and
- Productions details (three-year historical summary of actuals and three year summary of projected production including assumptions).
Acceptable security must be provided for the loan or loan guarantee.
The applicant must demonstrate a minimum 10% (new entrants 5%) equity into the project. The department may require a higher equity level based on the risk of the project.
How to Apply?
Fill out the application form:
Mail form to the address provided below.
Based on individual applications
Industry Financial Programs (Branch)
1350 Regent Street, Fredericton