This program provides support for individual Alberta artists or an ensemble of artists through the purchase of their artwork as a permanent part of the Alberta Foundation for the Arts Collection.
This program will only consider submitted artwork by Alberta artists who meet the three mandatory criteria for CORE artists as described in the AFA’s Collections Development Plan.
Individual eligibility criteria
To be eligible for this acquisitions program, you must be a resident of Alberta. This means you:
- are legally entitled to be or remain in Canada
- are legally entitled to work in Canada
- have had your primary residence in Alberta for at least one full year before applying
Current applicants to AFA grant programs and recipients of past AFA grants and awards are eligible to apply to the Art Acquisition by Application Program each deadline providing they are in good standing with the AFA and meet the program eligibility requirements.
Ensembles are eligible if they are made up of members who meet the individual criteria.
Art training programs
To be eligible for this acquisitions program, you cannot be currently enrolled in a formal art-training program. This means a minimum of one full calendar year must pass between graduation from any formal art-training study and application to the program.
- Artist residencies and PHD programs are eligible if they are self-directed and do not have a formal art-training component
Submission from a gallery/agent will only be eligible if the artist meets all eligibility requirements and has signed a Designation for Submission by a Commercial Gallery, Organization or Artist Agent form.
- Incorporated production companies are not eligible to apply
- Sole proprietorships must apply as an gallery/agent classification and the sole owner must complete the above Designation form
- Applicants may be asked for additional information to determine eligibility, or any other program requirements when applicable.
How to Apply?
We only accept applications through the Grant Administration Tracking and Evaluation (GATE) online application system. We must receive your online application through GATE no later than 11:59 pm Mountain Time on the deadline date, unless the deadline falls on a statutory holiday or a weekend when it will be extended until the next working day. Please give the system time to process your application so that the AFA receives notification of your submission before the deadline falls.
GATE username registration
First-time applicants will require a GATE username and password. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get your GATE login information at least five business days prior to the application deadline. Please include:
- the contact name of the individual responsible for preparing your application
- the legal name of your organization (for those who are submitting via the artist’s gallery/agent)
- the contact person’s email address
The GATE username and password will be sent to the person at the email address provided.
What to include in your application
For detailed step-by-step instructions, please download the GATE user guide for this funding opportunity. Visit the Help and Resources page to download the guide.
- watch a short video that shows how to apply for this program
GATE online forms
- legal name and confirmation of the applicant status (minor/Albertan)
- contact Information: current, complete contact information for the primary applicant (individual or gallery contact)
- applicant contact Information: street and mailing address for the primary applicant or gallery
- general information: confirmation of applicant classification (artist or gallery/agent)
- a completed applicant agreement including the e-signature of the primary applicant
- artwork submission list including: artist name, artwork title, date, price, size and an artistic statement about the piece, and its exhibition history (if applicable)
- for new media or time-based media artworks, a Vimeo or other web link to the complete work (with password provided) should be included with the artist statement
The GATE attachment section indicates that not all attachments are required for submission. This is because they are only required for certain types of projects. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all attachments noted in the guidelines are submitted with their application. Wherever possible, support material should be uploaded as an attachment into GATE (up to 4 MB).
- an artistic resume of no more than four pages, with current mailing address which outlines any past exhibitions, achievements, teaching experience and/or formal education as applicable
- resumes will be used to determine CORE artist eligibility
- galleries applying on behalf of an artist must ensure that the artist’s current address is included on the resume
Images must be submitted and labelled as follows:
- when entering a single image of a single artwork into the database, each image must be labelled with the artists’ name, title of the work and numbered as follows to ensure that the correct image corresponds with the artwork
- 2_Lastname_title, etc.
- when entering multiple images of a single artwork, each image should be labeled and numbered as follows
- 1b_Lastname_title, etc.
- mislabeled images will not be accepted. Do not title files image 1, image 2, etc.
- the AFA will not accept visual representations of artworks that do not match the artwork title, medium, size, and date associated with the submission
- for new media or video artworks, image stills can be used to represent the work
All video and audio files must be Windows compatible, MP3 and MP4 files are preferred.
If your support material is too large to submit, please mail a hard copy CD or USB to 10708 – 105 Ave, Edmonton, AB, T5H 0A1. Please include your first name, last name and project number on the CD or USB.
Supplementary material sent by mail must be postmarked no later than 11:59 p.m. Mountain Time of the deadline date, unless the deadline falls on a statutory holiday or a weekend when it will be extended until the next working day.
Applicants may be asked for additional information.
Based on individual applications