This program fosters and supports Newfoundland and Labrador musical culture through the funding of diverse artists and genres in singles, EP’s, full-length sound recordings, marketing, and promotion materials.
- Funding is intended for use by those living in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Any portion of the project not completed in NL will be eligible for 25% of costs reimbursed.
- Applicant must have been a resident of Newfoundland & Labrador for at least six (6) months prior to the application.
- Recordings to be completed in a studio located in NL in order to access as an eligible expense.
- If applicant is a studio owner a cap of 25% will be applied to studios eligible expenses.
- Recording cannot be compiled of previously released material by the artist.
- The majority of recording material must be original content (i.e. previously unreleased). In some special instances, the jury may waive this requirement (i.e. specific genres). This waiver will be made at the discretion of the jury on a per project basis. In these cases, the jury will be instructed to evaluate based on the “originality” of the arrangement.
- All music genres are eligible for support.
OTHER IMPORTANT NOTES
- Projects started but not released will be eligible for funding.
- Not-for-profit groups or associations are not eligible under this program.
- Applicants who have not demonstrated a proven track record maybe be required to complete some type of business training at the discretion of the committee in order to access top tier of funding ($10,000).
- Projects using Newfoundland & Labrador businesses are eligible for funding up to 75% of eligible costs. Any projects using businesses located outside of Newfoundland and Labrador (where applicable) are eligible for funding up to 25% of eligible costs.
- Producers’ fees
- Engineer fees
- Musician fees
- Design & layout if applicable
- Eligible Costs for Marketing and Promotion:
- Website Design
- Printing Costs for Release (Posters, invitations)
- Social media marketing
- Advertising costs (Product Release) radio, television, newspaper ads, publicist
- Promotional videos
- Only those expenses incurred following the date of receipt of the application
- All management and legal fees
- All equipment purchases and musical instrument supplies
- All local transportation and all food expenses
- All cash payments without proper receipts
- All donated services
- Album release party expenses
Any and all expenses not mentioned under eligible expenses
How to Apply?
- All applications must be submitted electronically via the application form page
- It is recommended that MusicNL staff be contacted at least one month in advance of submission to discuss the proposed project before an application is submitted.
Program is broken down into a 3-tier system:
- Payment will be issued with 75% up front and 25% upon receipt of final report.
- Monies are a grant and not repayable.
- Artists that have received funding under this program are not eligible to reapply for a period of twelve (12) months after the official release of the funded project.
David Shears, Programs Manager
(709) 754-2574 (ext. 2)
Newfoundland & Labrador