We’re here to help owners and operators of commercial buildings reduce energy costs. The Commercial Buildings Retrofit Program provides incentives for energy audits and eligible energy-saving upgrade projects.
The following types of buildings are eligible:
- Commercial or institutional buildings such as, but not limited to: agricultural buildings, arenas, grocery stores, health care facilities, hotels, institutional buildings (colleges, hospitals, schools, universities, nursing homes), provincial buildings, office buildings, places of worship, recreational facilities, restaurants, retail buildings, stand-alone warehouses, water and wastewater treatment plants and pumping stations.
- Municipally owned buildings.
- Multi-unit residential buildings that have 3 or more units.
- Mixed-use commercial/residential buildings, including houses that have been modified for commercial use.
- Multi-building/national accounts, NB Power will accept multi-building owners that have similar building types such as franchisees, drug store chains, food chains, etc.
- Occupancy changes within a building. NB Power will accept any building type where a change in occupancy will be occurring during the renovation. Special audit requirements for buildings changing their occupancy type are detailed in Section 5 – Audit Requirements.
- Added capacities within a building are acceptable as long as the addition will save energy in comparison to the current common equipment that would have been installed without an energy consult. An example of adding capacity: A building currently does not have air conditioning, but energy efficient air conditioning will be added to the building post energy audit. Special audit requirements for buildings adding capacity are detailed in Section 5 – Audit Requirements.
How to Apply?
Step 1: Schedule Your Energy Audit
Contact an approved Energy Management Service Provider (EMSP) listed on our website to schedule an energy audit. The EMSP will perform the audit, discuss potential projects with you, prepare an audit report and submit an application on your behalf to NB Power. NB Power will review your application and email you a welcome kit. The welcome kit will include the following documents: Program Agreement; Statement of Work form with instructions; Request for Payment with instructions; and, a Direct Deposit Form. It is the Participant’s responsibility as the applicant to ensure that the professional selected has the necessary training, credentials and experience suitable for their business.
Click here for questions to ask your EMSP
An EMSP typically has the following qualifications to complete the comprehensive energy audit:
Either a Professional Engineer (P Eng), a Professional Technologist (P Tech), a Certified Engineering Technologist (CET), an Architect or a Certified Energy Manager (CEM) with a minimum of two years experience evaluating energy systems in commercial buildings – performing comprehensive energy audits. Alternatively, an Engineer-In-Training under the supervision of a P Eng., a P Tech or a CET with the previously referenced experience is acceptable; however, the supervisor must certify and sign the comprehensive energy audit report.
Click here for a directory of Energy Management Service Providers.
Step 2: Submit Program Agreement
Please return to NB Power the signed Program Agreement that was included in the welcome kit. The EMSP will submit proof of payment for the energy audit, and you will be issued the audit incentive payment within 60 days. Acceptable proof of payment is a copy of a paid invoice or a submittal by the EMSP indicating the audit amount and that the participant has paid the EMSP in full.
NB Power requires that a signed Program Agreement and the Audit Report be sent to NB Power before an audit incentive cheque is issued. If payment has not been received and a signed Program Agreement has been submitted, please contact your EMSP.
Here is a detailed look at the audit incentives available.
|Class 1 (Small)
Up to 15,000 sq ft or 1,394 sq m
|Class II (Medium)
1395 sq m to 75,000 sq ft/ 6968 sq m
|Class 3 (Large)
75,001sq ft / 6,969sq m and larger
|Up to 100% of energy audit costs to a maximum of $3,000||Up to 100% of energy audit costs to a maximum of $5,000||Up to 100% of energy audit costs to a maximum of $8,000|
* 50% of audit up to maximum shown
Step 3: Submit Your Statement of Work to NB Power
Once you receive the audit report, you can submit your Statement of Work to NB Power. The audit report provides detailed information on potential energy efficiency projects along with their estimated costs, energy savings, and an estimate of the time it will take for the investment to be paid back as a result of energy savings. The Statement of Work documents the efficiency projects you intend to implement. When you decide to go ahead with some or all of the recommended measures in your audit report, enter these in the Statement of Work.
Click here for instructions on how to complete a statement for work.
Step 4: Receive Approval to Get Started
NB Power will receive and review the completed Statement of Work and notify you when the projects have been approved. Once you receive the approval letter you can get started and proceed with implementing the recommendations.
Important: You cannot begin any project work prior to receiving approval of the Statement of Work from NB Power. You have 18 months from the date you sign the Program Agreement to complete your projects.
Step 5: Submit Request for Payment
At this point all the upgrades have been completed. Congratulations. Now it is time to request the incentive payment. Submit the Request for Payment form along with copies of invoices, receipts, etc.
Click here for instructions on how to complete a request for payment.
Step 6: Site Visit
A member of NB Power’s staff may perform a site visit to confirm the installation of the energy efficiency measures. Once NB Power has approved your Request for Payment, you will receive the incentive for your energy efficient upgrades.
Step 7: Receive Incentive Payment
Once NB Power has approved your Request for Payment, the incentive for your energy efficient upgrades will be issued within 60 days of NB Power approving the claim and invoices.
Based on individual applications
1 800 663-6272