Explore is an intensive French-immersion program that is offered during the spring and summer. If you are interested in learning or improving French and travelling to a new part of Canada, then Explore might be the perfect program for you.
In order to qualify, you must meet BOTH of the following criteria:
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (those studying in Canada on a student visa are not eligible); and
- meet the institution’s minimum age requirement by the time Explore begins (13–15, 16–17, or 18+).
You must also meet ONE of the following criteria depending on your age:
- have been a part-time or full-time student for at least one term during the current school year; or
- have been an Odyssey participant within the last two years.
There are no language-skill requirements. If you meet the above criteria, you may be eligible for a place funded by the Government of Canada.
How to Apply?
Are you a first-time applicant? If so, you must upload a completed declaration form signed by you and a designated official (see step 4), along with one of the following supporting documents:
- your Canadian birth certificate; or
- proof of your Canadian citizenship (both sides); or
- proof of permanent-resident status (both sides).
If you have applied before, you do not need to supply supporting documents. You will only need to upload a completed declaration form signed by you and a designated official (see step 4).
Step 1: If you haven’t already done so, read about the different institutions you can attend, and choose your top three locations.
Step 2: Create an online profile (or log in to your existing profile).
Step 3: Create an application. Don’t forget to save it by clicking on the Finish button before printing it. The print version of your application will be two pages long. It will contain a declaration form and an information page. Don’t panic if you don’t see your top three choices. They are saved in the system.
Step 4: Take your declaration form to a registrar or designated official (teacher, principal, guidance counsellor) at your school and have them complete the section under the heading “Signature and Seal,” with your institution’s stamp or seal.
Step 5: Sign and date the bottom of the declaration form. If you are under 18, a parent or guardian must sign, as well.
Step 6: Scan all of your required supporting documents as a separate PDF or take detailed photos of each (accepted image file formats: .jpg, .tiff, and .png). Upload each file, using the corresponding button in the SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS section of your online profile.
Step 7: Expect a few weeks for your application to be processed. You can also check your online profile to see if your status has changed. But don’t worry—you will receive email updates (to the email address you provided) throughout the process.
Explore is funded by the Government of Canada, allowing most participants to fully engage in the program instead of worrying about money.
What’s covered by the funding:
- Application fees (It’s free to apply!)
- Tuition fees for the program
- Instructional materials
- Meals and accommodations*
- Workshops and cultural activities
*Does not apply for virtual sessions.
The following fees are only required once you have confirmed your enrolment.
- Non-refundable registration fee
- Travel expenses
- Optional cultural activities
- Personal spending money (for snacks or souvenirs, etc.)
Other program-related fees may apply depending on the host institution.
Arts, Culture, Sport