Grant Name: Factor – Juried Sound Recording
June 3, 2021, 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time
December 2, 2021, 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Artists may only apply to one juried program (either Artist Development or Juried Sound Recording) within a 12-month period. For example, if an artist applies to the Artist Development program for the May 27, 2021 deadline and is unsuccessful, the same artist may not apply for Artist Development or Juried Sound Recording until the May 2022 deadline. However, successful Artist Development recipients can apply for a second Artist Development or Juried Sound Recording at the next deadline.
The top 20 applications below the successful funding threshold will be invited to reapply at the next deadline window without the 12-month waiting period. These applicants will be notified of their exemption alongside the communicated jury results.
The Juried Sound Recording program (JSR) provides grant funding toward the costs of production or acquisition of an original full-length sound recording and contributes to the marketing and promotion of that sound recording under the Marketing, Tour Support, Showcase, Video, and Radio Marketing components.
This is a competitive program, to which artists should apply if they can demonstrate current marketplace momentum along with audience growth and engagement. An artist should be able to demonstrate the recent market success and accelerating momentum in their career via quantifiable metrics in any applicable spheres of activities; this information to be included in the applicant’s marketing plan. New artists should review the Artist Development program.
In order to fill out a Juried Sound Recording application in the FACTOR online system, you will first need a rated Artist Profile and Applicant Profiles.
With your Juried Sound Recording application, you must submit:
- Goals and expected results
- Recording start date
- Detailed information for each track you intend to record
- Lyrics (where applicable)
- 2 MP3 assessment tracks
- A description of changes you intend to make to the tracks
- A detailed marketing plan
- General Artist
- Record Label 2
- Record Label (Approved)
- Record Label 3
- Artist 2
- Artist (Approved)
Artists rated General or 2 on their own behalf if the artist is unsigned
Record labels rated Approved, 2 or 3 with an artist rated General or 2
How to Apply?
- In order to fill out a JSR application in the FACTOR online system, you will first need a rated Artist Profile and Applicant Profile.
- The Artist Profile provides details about the artist or group. We recommend that you complete only the Mandatory Information section. You do not need to complete the Additional Information section to get the General artist rating. Provide the mandatory information, then click the Request Review button.
- The Applicant Profile provides the details of the person or party that enters a contract with FACTOR, will receive the funding, and will be incurring the costs. Once you’ve completed the profile, click the Request Review button.
- Once you have submitted both profiles by clicking the Request Review buttons, they will automatically receive a provisional rating that allows you to go straight to the application process. You do not have to wait for the profiles to be reviewed by FACTOR before starting your JSR application, but the information will be verified prior to an offer of funding.
- Go to the How to Apply page on the FACTOR website for step-by-step instructions on creating and sharing profiles, followed by how to submit an application. Juried Sound Recording Program – May 2021 3
- FACTOR welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Please contact your Project Coordinator or our general information account to discuss options for accommodations throughout the application process, as well as our Application Accessibility Support Fund
The Juried Sound Recording funding is a grant. For the first phase of the project, FACTOR will contribute 75% of the total eligible budget, to a maximum of $67,500 (including Radio Marketing) for General Artist (of which up to $10,000 can be spent in the sound recording component); and $77,500 (including Radio Marketing) for Artist 2 (of which up to $15,000 can be spent in the sound recording component.) Funding is paid out 50% on approval and the remainder on final completion. Juried Sound Recording projects with sales exceeding the qualifying sales threshold may also qualify for a second phase of funding up to $30,000 (General Artist) or $40,000 (Artist 2).
247 Spadina Avenue, Third Floor
Toronto, ON M5T 3A8
416 696 2215