This program supports Nova Scotia’s professional, practicing artists in the creation and dissemination of their own work. The program also supports professional artists by helping them to develop their practice and skills in all disciplines including fine crafts, literary, visual, media, and performing arts.
The definition of professional is determined by the Status of the Artist Act including but not limited to the following criteria:
- To have peer recognition
- To have a history of public presentation
- To have training appropriate to the artist’s chosen discipline (including self-taught and/or apprenticeship training)
- To earn income, fully or in part, from artistic activity
- To demonstrate serious intent and devotion of energy to practicing art
Applicants must also be:
- Canadian citizens or landed immigrants.
- Residents of Nova Scotia for at least 12 months prior to the application deadline.
- Outside the province temporarily and not away for no more than 12 months.
How to Apply?
Before Sending Your Email
- Include your name on all files
- Number your files in the order they should be opened (application forms have a list of required documents in order)
- Ensure your page limits and file sizes are in line with the program guidelines
- Upload large audio and video files to a streaming service such as YouTube, Vimeo or SoundCloud
- Address your email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit by 11:59pm the day of the deadline
- Send one application per email
- Subject line should be: “Your Name – Program Name – Category”
- Keep attachments under 25MB
- Do not attach large audio or video files; include a streaming link in the body of the email
- Do not send cloud-based attachments (WeTransfer, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.)
- Do not duplicate your application; do not send an additional hard copy
If you are unable to submit by email, contact the program officer.
- Create – $15,000 Maximum
- Supports artists working independently or collaboratively (with one other artist living in NS) to develop or create new work.
- Present – $5,000 Maximum
- Supports the public presentation of an artist’s work.
- Professional Development – $5,000 Maximum
- Provides funding to artists, curators, and independent arts administrators to strengthen artistic practice and/or capacity.
Enrique Ferreol (he/him/they), Program Officer
Cell (902) 219-4669 / Office (902) 424-6472 | Enrique.Ferreol@novascotia.ca