This loan is a financing option for homeowners wanting to implement energy-efficient measures to their homes. The loan covers upgrades for:
- windows and doors.
- residential space heating equipment.
- air leakage sealing.
- residential water heating equipment.
Financing is available with the following conditions.
- Manitoba Hydro must approve your application before any work is started or any materials are purchased.
- You must be the owner of the home in which energy improvements are made.
- You must have an active Manitoba Hydro account and be approved for credit from Manitoba Hydro.
- The building must be your primary residence or the primary residence of your tenant.
- Mobile homes on permanent foundations with a permanent water supply are eligible. For geothermal and solar photovoltaic systems, you must own the land where the mobile home is located.
- Indigenous customers living in Band-owned homes are eligible for financing with a Band Council Resolution.
- The home must be detached or semi-detached.
- Upgrades must be made to our recommended levels.
How to Apply?
STEP1: Check to see if you are eligible
- windows and doors;
- residential space heating equipment;
- geothermal and cold climate air source heat pumps;
- air leakage sealing;
- residential water heating equipment;
- electric vehicle chargers;
- solar photovoltaic systems.
STEP 2: Contact a participating supplier
To participate in HEEL, contact a participating program supplier (contractor or retailer).
The supplier works with you to ensure your project is eligible. They will help you complete a HEEL application and submit it to us on your behalf. We will review your application and conduct a customer credit review. If approved, we will notify your supplier and your project may begin.
- You must have approval before any work is started or any materials are purchased.
- We do not provide a participating suppliers list or endorse any service professionals. We recommend following our tips for hiring a contractor to ensure you feel confident in finding a supplier that best fits your project’s needs.
STEP 3: Complete your project
Once your project is complete, your supplier arranges for all homeowners to sign and date the Completion Certificate.
This document indicates that you acknowledge the work at your property was completed in full and authorizes us to pay your supplier directly for invoice costs.
STEP 4: Pay the loan through your monthly energy bill
The monthly loan payment is conveniently placed on your energy bill.
You can make additional payments to your loan at any time. An administration fee of $20 is charged if your loan is paid in full during the first 6 months.
- Minimum monthly payment is $15.
- Minimum amount that can be financed is $500.
- Monthly installments will be applied to your energy bill. Repayment of the loan is the responsibility of the homeowner and not the tenant.
- Additional payments may be made at any time with no penalty.
- A $20 administration fee will apply if the loan is paid off in full during the first 6 months.
- The loan becomes due and payable when the house is sold or transfers ownership. The loan is not transferable.
- The cost of one upgrade cannot be split between multiple HEEL Agreements or between financing programs.