Grant Name: Indigenous Community Business Fund
There are no submission deadlines. Applications for funding are accepted on an ongoing basis until all funding has been allocated.
The Indigenous Community Business Fund is providing $117 million in non-repayable financial contributions to help support First Nations, Inuit and Métis community-or collectively owned businesses and microbusinesses whose revenues have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Budget 2021 renewed this funding with an additional $117 million.
The fund supports the operation of the businesses as well as costs to support the adaptation, planning and reopening of a business.
The fund seeks to provide support for businesses that do not qualify for other Government of Canada COVID-19 relief measures.
It is intended to relieve financial pressure and allow these businesses and microbusinesses to strengthen operations and support their viability during the pandemic, with the goal of positioning them for recovery.
The fund has 2 streams:
Funding will be transferred directly to communities and collectives to immediately support their COVID-19 economic priorities. No applications are required for stream 1 funding.
Funding will be proposal-based. Applications must be submitted by the community or collectives on behalf of the business. Funding will be transferred directly to communities and collectives. For First Nations and Inuit community-owned businesses, the funding will be administered by Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) regional offices. For Métis collectively-owned businesses, funding will be administered by Métis organizations listed in the “Métis businesses” section.
Your community or collectives are eligible and can apply for stream 2 funding if the business:
- is First Nations, Inuit or Métis community-or collectively owned
- is located in the provinces
- has been in operation since October 1, 2019
- has either incurred a negative financial impact due to COVID-19 or that financial support will prevent layoffs, bankruptcy, or permanent closure
- has been solvent, financially viable, and not declared bankrupt prior to the economic disruptions associated with COVID-19
- currently operates as a for profit entity and expects to continue to operate with a reduction in revenues from the previous year over the coming months as a result of COVID-19 in line with the terms of the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy
- has previously applied for federal business support and been declined, in whole or in part, or does not qualify under business support eligibility criteria:
- this may include applications to more than 1 federal program depending on the requested support
A First Nations, Inuit or Métis community or collective may apply for funding for 1 or more community-owned businesses.
Businesses in the territories must apply to the Northern Business Relief Fund.
How to Apply?
To apply for stream 2 funding:First Nations and Inuit businesses
- complete the Indigenous Community Business Fund Financial Assistance Application form
- financial statements to demonstrate the decrease in revenue that covers the period of the application request
- a copy of your business continuity or recovery plan
- letters patent or incorporation documents, if incorporated
- submit your application package to your ISC regional office representative by email in the contact us section below
You will receive an acknowledgement notification within 2 business days of submitting an application to the ISC regional office.
Other documents could be requested from the applicant if needed.
Métis businesses must apply directly to the Métis organizations below that is in the same province as your Métis business. Each organization will assess the applications they receive in line with ICBF criteria. For details on the application process, please contact the Métis organization of your province.
n/a in this table means non-applicable.
|Contact the Métis organization of your province|
|Alberta||Apeetogosan Métis Development Inc.||firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com||Toll free: 1-800-252-7963 (in Alberta only)
|British Columbia||Métis Financial Corporation of British Columbiafirstname.lastname@example.org||n/a|
|Manitoba||Manitoba Métis Federationemail@example.com||Toll free: 1-800-387-6004
|Ontario||Métis Voyageur Development Fundfirstname.lastname@example.org||Toll free: 1-855-798-0166|
|Saskatchewan||SaskMétis Economic Development Corporationemail@example.com||Telephone: 306-477-4350
For other provinces, applicants can submit their application package by email to the appropriate ISC regional office in the contact us section below
Based on individual applications
Applicants are encouraged to contact the appropriate ISC regional office representative for this fund if they have any questions regarding the application. Application packages should be sent by email to your appropriate regional office representative.
|Quebecfirstname.lastname@example.org||1-800-263-5592 option 6|
|Northern British Columbiaemail@example.com||(867) 667-3391|
Community / Business