This funding program is designed to increase awareness of provincially produced music at local, national, and international levels, and to present NL music as an art form and viable economic driver. Export-ready musicians touring outside of the province and expanding their market reach within and outside of Canada should apply.
- Applicant must have been a resident of Newfoundland & Labrador for at least six (6) months prior to the application. Proof of residency may be required.
- Applicant must be touring in support of a commercially released sound recording.
- Applicants will be limited to a maximum annual funding amount of $5000 for solo artists and $8000 for groups regardless of the number of applications made in that period.
Independent tours, tours in conjunction with other artists/groups, showcases, and other performances must take place outside of Newfoundland & Labrador with a minimum of six (6) confirmed dates. These six confirmed dates must take place in at least three (3) different municipalities outside of the province. For example, 3 shows at the same festival or event do not count as 3 different municipalities. Tours must also start or end in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Educational, professional development activities, showcases or festivals, recording, marketing and promotion. Please see separate funding programs available through MusicNL
- Projects that do not have a performance component
- Projects with less than six (6) confirmed dates
- Projects with less than three (3) municipalities
- Projects that do not start or end in Newfoundland and Labrador
- Applications received after two weeks before project starts
- Travel, including transportation costs to, from, and within the target market(s)
- Per diems
- Project specific promotional materials
- Side Musician Fees for solo artists and royalty artists. Please note: Royalty artists are those that will receive royalties from publishing, airplay, TV/video, product sales or any form of synchronization.
RESTRICTIONS TO ELIGIBLE EXPENSES:
- Best economy rates for flights, hotels and vehicle rentals only
- Mileage under Government of Newfoundland and Labrador provincial rate eligible only when using privately owned vehicle. Mileage forms must be completed
- Promotional costs are eligible if limited to a specific project and during the specific project period.
- In order to access per diems or side musician fees applicant must have artist or groups individual signatures outlining number of travel days and must be a current resident of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Only those expenses incurred after the application has been received by MusicNL
- Any expenses to be paid by the promoter in lieu of payment to the artist applicant must be included at the time of application and also declared as artist’s revenue
- Any and all expenses not mentioned under eligible expenses
- Foreign musicians and manager fees
- Award show ticket purchases
- Office rent and office wages
- Rental or purchase of any equipment
- Traffic ticket expenses
- Costumes and wardrobe expenses
- The funding available through the MusicNL Market Access Program is intended to develop and build careers nationally and globally and is not to be considered a continuous subsidy.
Successful applicants will receive investment support until funding for the fiscal year is exhausted. Money left over will be held for the next funding period.
How to Apply?
- All applications must be submitted electronically
- If you have any technical questions regarding your submission, email email@example.com
- It is strongly recommended that MusicNL be contacted at least a month in advance of submission to discuss the proposed project before an application is submitted. Applications must be submitted at least two weeks in advance.
- Appointments must be made through firstname.lastname@example.org
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted
- Your application will not be reviewed if you have a final report that is overdue.
Attach a separate budget that reports the full cost of the project (i.e. all expenses incurred even if not eligible under this program.) This information will aid MusicNL in calculating the private investment in each project and to analyze the amount of investment Newfoundland and Labrador music initiatives might require.
- Applicants may apply for up to 100% of eligible expenses to a maximum of;
- $1500 Solo Artist domestic travel
- $2000 Duo domestic travel
- $2500 Group domestic travel
- $2500 Solo Artist international travel
- $3250 Duo international travel
- $4000 Group international travel
- Monies are a grant and not repayable.
- A group is considered 3 or more individuals.
- Tours must include six dates outside of the province in at least three different municipalities. Promotional dates such as radio appearances will be considered.
David Shears, Programs Manager
186 Duckworth Street
St. John’s, NL A1C 1G5
Phone: (709) 754-2574 (ext. 2)
Newfoundland & Labrador