This Program offers homeowners a rebate of up to $1,000 when replacing their aging water heater with a qualifying natural gas ENERGY STAR model.
- The home must have:
- a residential FortisBC natural gas account (except for strata unit owners installing EnerChoice® fireplaces) and/or
- a residential FortisBC or municipal electricity account of Grand Forks, Penticton, Summerland or Nelson Hydro
- If the registered owner of the property where upgrades were made is not the utility account holder (e.g. landlord/tenant) the owner must have the account holder complete the Utility Account Holder Consent form.
- The home must be a year-round primary residence at least 12 months old and be either a single-family, duplex, triplex, row home, townhouse or mobile home on a permanent foundation. New construction, additions and garage upgrades are not eligible. Apartments and condos are eligible for fireplace rebates only.
- Applications must be submitted within six months of the paid invoice date.
- Rebates cannot exceed the paid cost on the invoice.
- Only one rebate per home for a primary space heating system and a water heater is allowed.1
Natural gas water heater specific requirements
- All upgrades must be installed by a Technical Safety BC licensed contractor with a GST number and a valid BC business license for the trade applicable to the upgrade being installed. Self-installations are not eligible.
- The existing primary water heating system must be replaced with a new, eligible natural gas water heater. Warranty replacements are not eligible.
How to Apply?
- Purchase a qualifying water heater and have it installed by a gas contractor licensed with Technical Safety BC. You can find a gas contractor through our online directory.
- Apply online and include a copy of the paid invoice showing details of all work performed, including:
- purchase date
- make and model number
- installation permit number
- gas contractor’s Technical Safety BC licence number
See a sample invoice for water heaters for specific requirements.
- Applications may take up to 90 days to process.
Note: the rebate application link below takes you to Account login. Once you’ve registered and/or logged in you can start your rebate application. Hint: we recommend using Google Chrome® for the best experience.