Arts Nova Scotia manages the Nova Scotia Art Bank. Every year the Art Bank adds to its collection through the Art Bank Purchase Program. Artists are invited to submit their works for consideration. Pieces that are acquired become part of a working collection.
They are maintained, loaned out and displayed in government offices and agencies. The program raises awareness of artists and their works and stimulates interest in visual arts and craft.
Professional artists who are Canadian citizens, or landed immigrants who have maintained their primary residence in Nova Scotia for at least 12 months prior to the application deadline.
Professional artist collectives may apply. For the purposes of the Art Bank Purchase program, a collective is defined as a group of (minimum two) artists, the majority of whom reside in Nova Scotia, who share copyright over collaboratively created artworks. A collective may be either a non-profit society or non-profit cooperative registered with the Nova Scotia Registry of Joint Stock Companies or ad-hoc. Ad-hoc collectives will be asked to provide the social insurance number of the signatory applicant who will accept payment.
Nova Scotian Commercial galleries may submit on behalf of a living Nova Scotian artist or artist collective who they represent on regionally-exclusive and contractual basis.
Only one application is accepted per artist or artist collective.
Work must have been produced within five years prior to the application deadline.
Works must be able to be moved safely by two art handlers and easily fit into a cargo van once framed. Please speak to the program officer if you are concerned your work is oversized.
The determination of professional is determined by the Status of the Artist Act including but not limited to the following criteria:
- To have peer recognition
- To have a history of public presentation
- To have training appropriate to the artist’s chosen discipline (including self-taught and/or apprenticeship training)
- To earn income, fully or in part, from artistic activity
- To demonstrate seriousness of intent and devotion of energy to practicing one’s art
How to Apply?
Before Sending Your Email
- Include your name on all files
- Number your files in the order they should be opened (application forms have a list of required documents in order)
- Ensure your page limits and file sizes are in line with the program guidelines
- Address your email to email@example.com
- Send one application per email
- Subject line should be: “Your Name – Program Name”
- Keep attachments under 25MB
- Do not send cloud-based attachments (WeTransfer, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.)
- Do not duplicate your application; do not send an additional hard copy
Only submissions will be accepted to this email address. Please direct all questions to the program officer.
If you are unable to submit by email please contact the program officer.
Lauren Williams (she/her), Program Officer
(902) 471-5720 | Lauren.Williams@novascotia.ca