this program supports BC students who are former youth in care who are attending either full-time or part-time studies at a BC public post-secondary institution, Native Education College or one of 10 eligible union trades training centres
Residents of B.C.; or
- Have been placed in another province under a Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) or Delegated Aboriginal Agency (DAA) Interprovincial Placement Agreement;
- Studying full- or part-time at a B.C. public post-secondary institution; the Native Education College or one of 10 approved trades training providers (see below for a full list of eligible institutions);
- Between the ages of 19-26 (inclusive) or
- 17 or 18 years of age, and have graduated from high school and are no longer in care of MCFD; and
- Formerly in any B.C. MCFD or DAA Legal Status or Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction Child in Home of
Relative program for at least 24 months or 730 days (consecutive or accumulated in any combination).
Eligible Programs of Study:
- The program covers a wide range of study programs:
- Credit and non-credit courses leading to a certificate, diploma, credential or undergraduate degree
- Courses taken during unclassified qualifying years, non-credit-based trades programs and continuing education programs eligible for student financial assistance
- Apprenticeship training
- Any non-credit courses associated with lifelong learning or competencies related to the labour market
The program does not apply to Masters, PhD or post-graduate courses or programs or any Adult Basic Education programs and/or fees.
How to Apply?
- Download the Provincial Tuition Waver Program Application and complete section 1 and 3 https://studentaidbc.ca/sites/all/files/form-library/provincial-tuition-waiver-program-application.pdf
- visit institutions financial aid office and bring your application form to them so they can validate your eligibility and complete section 2
- your institution will submit your application form to the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training who verifies your time-in-care with the Ministry of Children and Family development
if eligible, your institution will not collect any tuition fees or registration deposits from you
British Columbia, Canada