This funding provides funds to support development of individual Alberta artists, arts administrators, or an ensemble of artists by providing funding for a specific visual arts or new media project.
Individual eligibility criteria
To be eligible for individual project funding, you must be a resident of Alberta. This means you:
- are legally entitled to be or remain in Canada
- are legally entitled to work in Canada
- have had your primary residence in Alberta for at least one full year before applying
- ordinarily live in Alberta for a least six months of each year with the exception of attending a formal program of study
You must be in good standing with the AFA with no open or outstanding projects or reporting to apply. Previous grant recipients must ensure all final reporting has been approved by the AFA before new applications are accepted.
Applicants, including ensembles or collectives, must not be incorporated under either provincial or federal legislation.
Ensembles, collectives, and collaborations
Ensembles, collectives, and collaborations are eligible to apply to this program and must list all principal artists involved in the project activities as part of their application. All members of an ensemble, collective, or collaboration must meet the individual eligibility criteria.
Principal artists cannot apply and/or receive funding for multiple projects at the same time, whether as an individual or a member of various ensembles, collectives, or collaborations.
How to Apply?
We only accept applications through Grant Administration Tracking and Evaluation (GATE) online application system. We must receive your online application through GATE no later than 11:59 pm Mountain Time on the deadline date, unless the deadline falls on a statutory holiday or a weekend when it will be extended until the next working day. Please give the system time to process your application so that we receive notification of your submission before the deadline falls.
- applicants may submit only one application to the AFA each deadline across all disciplines
- the AFA does not accept incomplete applications
- applications must be received prior to the commencement of the project
- projects involving more than one artist must be submitted by one individual on behalf of the ensemble or group
- we do not accept separate applications for the same project
GATE username registration
First-time applicants will require a GATE username and password. Email us at email@example.com to get your GATE login information at least five business days prior to the application deadline.
- your legal name
- the funding opportunity to which you are applying
- your email address
Your GATE username and password will be sent to the email address provided.
What to include in your application?
GATE online forms
- applicant information: Legal name and confirmation of your status (minor/Albertan)
- if you are under the age of 18 years at the time of application, a parent or legal guardian must e-sign the Applicant Agreement as the designate for the funding, and be responsible for:
- the completeness and accuracy of the application in full
- receipt and use of funding
- reporting on the use of funds
- serving as contact person for any inquiries relating to the funding
- contact information for primary applicant
- ensembles must designate one contact person for all requirements of the grant as the primary applicant
- this designated individual must e-sign the Applicant Agreement
- applicants contact information: Street and mailing address for the primary applicant
- general information: Confirmation of the application category (art production, marketing, research, or training/career development) and applicant status (individual/ensemble)
- project description: A brief project description (20 words) and project start and end dates
- principal artists: A listing of the principal artists involved in the project, their position or role, and confirmation of Alberta Residence
- if you are single applicant, list yourself as artist
- individual applicant agreement: A declaration of agreement with the statement of conditions e-signed by the primary applicant or designate
- project expenses: A listing of project expenditures in Canadian dollars
- project revenue: A listing of non-AFA revenues in Canadian dollars
- the difference between expenditures and revenues will comprise the grant request to the AFA with the funding not exceeding $15,000
The GATE attachment section indicates that not all attachments are required for submission. This is because they are only required for certain types of projects (e.g. marketing plan for a marketing project). It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all attachments noted in the guidelines are submitted with their application.
Please submit the following attachments for all types of applications:
- an artistic resume of no more than four pages that includes a list of exhibitions and other relevant artistic history
- resumes of all principal artists involved in the project
- a detailed description of the project, including an outline of the objectives, planned activities, timelines, and expected results and impact on the applicant’s artistic development
- in keeping with oral traditions, indigenous project descriptions are welcome as oral submissions no longer than 3 minutes in length
- one complete file containing no more than 10 images of completed work done within the last five years
- your file must be in PDF format and no larger than 4 MB in size
- refer to the Helpful Resources section for instructions on how to prepare your images for upload
- one media file sample is also permitted when applicable to your application (see format requirements below)
Please also submit the following attachments, as applicable:
- commission applicants are encouraged to submit a completed and signed contract with the commissioner and a plan for the exhibition, presentation, display, publication, screening or performance of the commissioned work
- applicants who have been accepted into a specific course must provide proof of acceptance and a detailed description, schedule and budget for the training program or course of study
- applicants who have not already been accepted into a course must submit a detailed description, schedule and budget for the preferred choice
- two alternate program choices should be submitted, with detailed descriptions, schedules and budgets for each choice
- official invitations, confirmations or itineraries
- marketing plan
- letter of reference
- resumes for other principal artists
- additional support materials that may assist in the assessment process
- all additional support material should be scanned into a single file and attached to the online application
Applicants may be asked for additional information.
- all video and audio files must be Windows compatible, MP3 and MP4 files are preferred
- wherever possible, support material should be uploaded as an attachment into GATE (up to 4 MB)
- for video and audio files too large to include as attachments in GATE, they may be submitted via email to vaAFA@gov.ab.ca as email attachments or downloadable links
- please format your subject line: <your first initial, last name and project number>, eg. “H.Lee VIPG-56-172631”
- please ensure link contains downloadable files (MP3 or MP4 preferred)
- alternatively, please mail a hard copy CD or USB to 10708 – 105 Ave, Edmonton, AB, T5H 0A1
- please include your first initial, last name and project number on the CD or USB
- support material must be submitted or postmarked no later than 11:59 p.m. Mountain Time on the deadline date
up to $15,000