The Water Program supports the enhancement of agricultural water management for continued growth and long-term success of the agriculture industry.
There are 2 streams under the Water Program: 1) on farm irrigation projects, and 2) on-farm water supply projects
- On-farm irrigation:
- is responsible for input costs or agricultural crops or livestock producing at least $25,000 worth of farm commodities annually, but does not include a landlord whose only interest in the crop or livestock is that of ownership of the land;
- owns an irrigated agricultural operation in Alberta; and
- has not been previously approved for payment from the former CAP Irrigation Efficiency Program and current Water Program for the Parcel described in the Application.
- On-farm water supply:
- responsible for input costs or agricultural crops or livestock producing at least $10,000 worth of farm commodities annually, but does not include a landlord whose only interest in the crop or livestock is that of ownership of the land; and
- liable to pay Alberta income tax or corporate tax (or claim losses) on income from the production of farm commodities under the Income Tax Act (Canada) or the Alberta Corporate Tax Act.
How to Apply?
Eligible expenses will be cost-shared at 25% grant and 75% applicant, except for special incentives at 50% grant and 50% applicant
The maximum funding an applicant can receive from the on-farm irrigation stream is $25,000 per fiscal year of the program.
The maximum grant an applicant can receive from the on-farm water supply stream is $25,000 ($5,000 for standard incentive projects and $20,000 for special incentive projects) for the period April 1, 2018 to March 31, 2023.