Grant Name: Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage (Graduates)
There is no deadline for individuals to apply, but it is recommended that applicants create an account and submit their candidacy before the summer.
Young Canada Works (YCW) at Building Careers in Heritage (YCWBCH) is an internship program for unemployed or underemployed college or university graduates. It helps graduates make the transition from college or university to the workplace, allowing them to hone their professional skills and begin a career in the heritage, arts and cultural sectors.
There are several types of internships, including:
- Internships in Canada in:
- heritage fields related to the work of museums, archives, libraries or heritage sites;
- conservation science; and
- arts administration or an arts practice project.
Internships in Canada must last from four to 12 consecutive months. Interns may work full-time or part-time.
Note: Priority will be given to employers that submit applications for full-time internships.
- International museology internships.
Internships abroad must last a minimum of six consecutive months. Interns must work full-time (30 to 40 hours per week).
An individual may be eligible for an internship if they:
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible).
- are legally entitled to work in Canada.
- are between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment.
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment.
- will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with the program.
- are unemployed or underemployed.
- are a college or university graduate; and
- are not receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed with the program.
Note: Priority will be given to graduates that have not previously participated in YCW internship programs.
How to Apply?
To apply, individuals are required to:
- visit the Young Canada Works login page;
- create an account by clicking on the “Sign up” link, then complete and submit a candidate profile;
- browse job opportunities via the “Search for a job” link in their account; and
- express their interest in a position by clicking on the job title and then on “Express interest in this job.”
Individuals selected for a position will be required to complete the following online forms and reports over the duration of the internship:
- Candidate Eligibility Form (initiated by the employer) – To confirm intern eligibility to participate. This must be completed before an intern is hired by their employer.
- Staffing Report (initiated by the employer) – To ensure that the details of the internship are accurate. This information must be confirmed during the first week of the internship.
- End of Work Term Report – To ensure the internship has successfully ended. This must be completed on the intern’s last day of work.
- Evaluation Questionnaire – To provide feedback regarding the program. This must be completed at the end of the internship.
Any questions about these obligations should be directed to the employer. There are instructions for all forms and reports within the intern’s Young Canada Works (YCW) account.
Young Canada Works at Building Careers in Heritage does not hire interns directly, it is the employer’s responsibility to hire individuals for their funded position(s). Employers approved for funding can search through the candidate list and contact individuals to hold an interview.
Based on individual applications
Internships in Canada
The Program may reimburse transportation and en route accommodation costs incurred by participants who must relocate more than 125 km from their permanent residence to work at a YCW job site.
International Museology Internships
The Program will cover the cost of transportation and partial accommodation costs of a participant working abroad as stipulated in the contract between the employer and the participant.
Please contact your Delivery Organization for more details.
Department of Canadian Heritage
Young Canada Works Secretariat
15 Eddy Street
Gatineau QC K1A 0M5Email